Thursday, January 13, 2011

The white stuff is stalking me...

I know it snows in north Texas. It really was no surprise to me. What was surprising is how often Danny and I became confused as to our whereabouts. We had left snow a couple weeks ago. We looked out the window and for a split second assumed we were back in Provo, UT. It was so unsettling to be so nonchalant about the snow while several people around us were stoked and freaking out about it.

And now, a tragic story of friendship lost and renewed:

Snow and I have had a rocky relationship. Many years ago I thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I would see him once or twice a year. We would spend several hours of those precious days together. We went sledding. We made snowballs. We slid across the trampoline while it was covered in snow. We were the best of friends. Imagine my excitement when I went to college in a land where Snow visited several times each year, even staying for days and weeks at a time. People told me I would grow weary of him. That idea seemed ludicrous. The first couple of years were magical. I saw Snow frequently. I did not always have the time for sledding or snowballs and I no longer had a trampoline but we had fun. I realized as Snow hung around that walking to class became more difficult. The sidewalks could be slick with ice. But my love for Snow endured. My third winter is when things started to go downhill quickly. I had a car. And Snow loved to cover my car. He loved to cover the roads and the driveway. Danny spent hours trying to get Snow to move over so we could leave our house. Early in the morning or late at night. Snow did not keep very consistent hours. Slowly but surely my love for Snow faded. Last month we were not even speaking. I could barely stand to look at him. The thought of driving around with him made me cringe.

I moved back to a land Snow visits annually, but usually only staying a few days at a time. I had about two weeks with out Snow. I did not miss him. Or perhaps I did not realize how much I missed him. Suddenly, last Sunday, Snow dropped in for a visit. I was confused at first. Unsure of how to greet him. Part of me remembered our old relationship of love and happiness. People around me seemed to welcome him. They seemed excited about the changes to the landscape Snow brought with him. I felt a spark. This spark quickly grew into a flame of love and appreciation once again. Snow and I are once again friends. I realize now that Snow has an excessive personality. I love him, but can not handle him hanging around all the time. However, when Snow visits only a few times a year and does not stay for too long, well, that suits me just fine.



No comments: