Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm a Deep Sleeper

What follows is an actual story from the life of Cali & Danny.

Around noon the phone rings and I answer. I am surprised to hear Danny's voice. He does not usually call me during the day while he is at work. Here is the conversation:

Danny: Hello.
Cali: Hi! What's up? You don't usually call during the day.
Danny: I just wanted to tell you that I love you.
Cali: Thanks, I love you too.
(I paused because it seemed like he was going to say more.)
Danny: How is your face feeling?
Cali: (thinking, what the heck weirdo question?) It's fine. Why?
Danny: I might have accidentally hit your face with my elbow this morning.
Cali: What? When?
Danny: Early this morning. I was moving around and I somehow hit your face.
Cali: You elbowed me in the face? I don't remember anything about that. Did I react at all?
Danny: No. You didn't even make a noise or shift around or anything.
Cali: Great. Did you elbow my face hard?
Danny: It was pretty hard. I am surprised it didn't wake you up.
Cali: Well, no worries I guess. I don't have any marks on my face or anything.
Our conversation then veers towards lunch because it was lunch time.

I have known for a while that I can sleep ridiculously deep. Sometimes it concerns me and this is one of those times. My husband accidentally hits me in the face hard enough for him to be concerned and to call me during the day (he usually texts, but an actual phone call is rare) and I did not even react about the hit. Crazy!

I am also known to sleep through severe thunder storms and tornado sirens. Seriously, there have been several storms that I only knew about because people were talking about them the next day and there were broken tree branches all over the place.

Most of the time being able to sleep so soundly is fantastic. However, I do wonder how it is possible to sleep so deeply that I do not realize I get hit on the face.
The only explanation I can come up with is that I actually die every night and come back to life every morning. That is possible, right?

And now, I think I am off to see how deep I can sleep tonight. I'm sure it will be unfathomable.




2 comments:

Kimi Price said...

That is an awesome talent.

Someday though, when you have kids, the sound of them sneezing two doors down will wake you up. I can't sleep through anything anymore!

PeterK said...

Haha. You make me laugh so hard, Cali. :) I think you may even sleep harder than my brother. A feat I used to think impossible. :O